Safari for Mac has a “Top Hit” prediction feature which displays a list of tabs at the top of the browser. You can click on one of these options to open a new tab and go directly to the site. This is great if you’re trying to find something specific, but it’s kind of annoying when you just want to open a blank tab.
If you want to disable Top Hits, first quit Safari. Then go to the Finder and hold down your Option key while selecting Go > Library from the menu bar. In the Library folder window that opens, find an application called “Safari” (not “Safari.app”) and drag it to the Trash. Then go back to your Library folder window and find/remove “Safari.help” (also located in the “Application Support” folder). Now open Safari, and Top Hits will be disabled.
About the App
If you decide you want to re-enable Top Hits at any time, just restart Safari while holding down the Command key to bypass the “Are you sure you want to open this application?” dialog box. You’ll see a list of applications; make sure there’s a checkmark next to Safari, then click “Open.” (Note: From now on whenever you start Safari, it will do so without checking for updates.
how to remove top hits from safari
on your browser. If you want to delete it permanently, press Command + Z on your keyboard. Afterwards, continue with the steps below.
1) Quit Safari by opening Finder and locating the app “Safari.” Right-click or control-click on this app, then click “Quit.”
2) Go to the Finder again. Hold down the Option key while clicking on “Go” in the menu bar at the top of your screen. A pop-up menu will appear with a list of different locations you can go to in Mac OS X, including Library. Click on this option, and it will open Library in Finder.
3) In your library window that opens, click “Applications” followed by “Safari.” Right-click or control-click on the Safari app icon, then select Move to Trash in the pop-up menu. Click “Empty Trash” in the next pop-up dialog box that appears.
4) In your Library window, you might see a “Safari.help” folder as well. This is a support file that Apple uses to help Safari users with any problems they’re having on their system. You can either move this file into the trash or leave it alone.
How to turn off Top Hits in Safari Mac?
Safari is a built-in web browser for Mac OS X, macOS. By default, the Top Hits section displays on the new tab page of Safari browser. You can follow this guide to turn off or delete it from Safari Mac computer.
Step 1: Go to the opposite directory
Close Safari, and then go to the opposite Finder directory as follow: * Go > Folder (Shift+Command+G) in menu bar.
* Go to folder… (or press Shift+Command+G). Then a new finder window will appear.
Step 2: Delete Safari files that related to Top Hits
* Go to “Library” > “Safari”. Delete all files in that folder that related to Top Hits.
* Go to “Library” > “Application support”, delete the file called “Safari.help”.
Step 3: Disable Top Hits function in Safari for Mac OS X/macOS computer
* Go to “Library” > “Preferences”. Delete the file called “com.apple.Safari.plist”.
* Reopen Safari, go to Preferences > Top hits and turn it off. See more how to open Safari preferences .
Safari is a built-in web browser for Mac OS X, macOS. Top Hits is a function in Safari that automatically generate suggestions on new tab based on interest and browsing history. If you don’t want to use Top Hits, you can follow this guide to turn off or delete it from Safari Mac computer. You can close the Top Hits section of the Safari browser and turn off Top Hits in Safari for Mac computer.