People now know how to use email attachments more effectively. The Outlook 2016 crashes when opening an attachment with a file of the type Word, PowerPoint and PDF. Microsoft has stopped supporting this particular issue in recent releases of Office 365 but they have not totally eradicated it either, leaving many people without their preferred document format or unable to open emails altogether until they change the default settings on their computers
Outlook 2016 crashes when opening emails from specific users. This issue can be fixed by turning off the “attachment preview” option in Outlook’s settings.
Milan Stanojevic is a writer who lives in Belgrade, Serbia.
Expert in Windows and Software
Milan has been fascinated by computers since he was a youngster, and this has led him to be interested in all PC-related technology. He worked as a front-end web developer before joining WindowsReport. Continue reading
Updated on November 18, 2021.
Publish date: August 2020
- Outlook 2016 fails while dealing with emails containing attachments, according to several users.
- If that’s the case for you, it’s time to double-check your antivirus or try installing the most recent updates.
- Read the articles in our Email section to learn more about emails in general.
- Visit our Outlook Troubleshooting Hub if you’re continually afflicted by identical difficulties that need your attention.
Are you fed up with email problems? Get rid of them using this email client!
Do you have issues with your email client or account? We have the ideal email client for you, one that will centralize all of your email accounts and allow you to access your critical data without any errors. You may now accomplish the following:
- In a single inbox, you can manage all of your emails.
- Popular applications are simple to incorporate (Facebook, Todoist, LinkedIn, Dropbox, etc.)
- All of your contacts are accessible from an one location.
- Errors and lost email data may be eliminated.
Many people use Outlook 2016 as their primary email client, however it might crash when you open an email with an attachment.
This may be a significant issue for certain customers, so let’s look at how to resolve this email problem.
Outlook crashes may be a pain, and while we’re on the subject of crashes, here are some of the most frequent issues customers have reported:
- When opening PDF attachments in Outlook 2016, the program crashes — The PDF add-in in Outlook is frequently at blame for this problem. To resolve the problem, just deactivate this add-in and see whether it resolves the issue.
- Attaching files, storing attachments, adding an attachment, accessing attachments, sending an email with attachment, and viewing an email with attachment all cause Outlook 2016 to crash — Many attachment-related difficulties might arise in Outlook 2016, but with one of our solutions, you should be able to resolve them.
- Outlook 2016 crashes when you open an email – Outlook might crash when you open an email. This is a significant issue, but it may be resolved by launching Outlook in Safe Mode.
What can I do if Outlook crashes when I try to open an email?
- Make sure your antivirus is up to date.
- Change your email client.
- Using a separate software, share the attachment.
- Updates must be installed.
- Remove the updates that are causing problems.
- Outlook add-ins should be disabled.
- Safe Mode is used to start Outlook.
- Outlook should be installed again.
- Make use of System Restore.
1. Make sure your antivirus is up to date
Although having a decent antivirus program is crucial, it may sometimes interfere with your system and cause Outlook 2016 to crash, particularly when reading attachments.
This might be a bothersome issue, so be sure to check your antivirus and deactivate any email security measures. If it doesn’t work, you may need to turn off your antivirus completely.
In the worst-case situation, you may need to remove your antivirus software to resolve the problem. If deleting the antivirus resolves the problem, you should try switching to a new antivirus program.
There are several alternatives available on the market. In 2021, the finest antivirus software should provide real-time protection against all known and new dangers while minimizing the effect on other programs on your computer.
2. Switch to a new email program.
If you don’t have the time to solve specific problems and Outlook 2016 continues to crash while dealing with attachments, you may consider switching to another email client.
This is just a temporary remedy, but it will suffice until you discover a more permanent answer. And there’s a good possibility you’ll be able to locate something that offers the same or comparable functionality without crashing.
Many current email applications provide simple and quick attachment options, as well as enough storage capacity and built-in methods for sending huge files.
Many Windows 10 email client programs are quite reliable and have a low error rate, all while offering advanced capabilities that allow you to handle many email accounts from a single window.
Simply choose an option that offers strong security and encryption, robust search and contact management capabilities, and extra time-saving features like as calendars and app connections.
3. Send an attachment from another software.
When attempting to attach a file to an email, Outlook 2016 fails, according to users. This can be a significant issue, however multiple people have identified a viable solution.
They allegedly experienced problems attaching Word documents, but they were able to address the problem with a simple workaround.
They said that they were able to solve the issue by opening the document they were attempting to connect in Word.
They just had to opt to share the paper as an attachment in Outlook after that.
The issue was permanently addressed once this began Outlook with the paper attached. This may seem to be an unusual approach, but multiple people have stated that it works, so it’s worth a go.
4. Download and install the most recent updates.
- Outlook 2016 is now open.
- Go to File > Office Account > Office Updates > Update Now to get started.
If Outlook 2016 crashes while dealing with emails that include attachments, you may be able to resolve the issue by simply installing the most recent updates.
The missing updates are normally installed automatically by Outlook, but you may always check for updates manually.
Outlook 2016 will now scan for and download available updates in the background. Check whether the issue persists after installing the most recent updates.
5. Remove any updates that are causing problems.
- To access the Settings app, press Windows Key + I. Go to the Update & Security section of the Settings app when it opens.
- From the left pane, choose View update history.
- A list of all recent updates should now appear. Recall a few recent updates and then select Uninstall updates.
- Now all you have to do is double-click the update you wish to remove. To uninstall the update, follow the on-screen instructions.
Problems with attachments with Outlook 2016 might arise in rare situations as a result of a faulty upgrade. If the problem began after an update, it’s conceivable that the update is the source of the problem.
However, you may easily resolve the issue by locating and uninstalling the faulty update from your computer. It’s quite easy to accomplish, and you may do it by following the instructions above.
Check to see whether Outlook is operating correctly after removing the faulty update.
We should point you that Windows has a tendency to install missing updates automatically, so be careful to disable automatic updates as indicated in this fast instruction.
6. Turn off Outlook’s add-ins
- Select File > Options > Add-ins from the File menu.
- Find the Manage section and then click the Go button.
- Disable all add-ins and click the OK button when the dialog box displays.
If Outlook 2016 crashes when dealing with an attachment in an email, one of your add-ins is most likely to blame.
Add-ins give additional functionality and enable you to link Outlook to other apps to exchange data.
Although add-ins might be beneficial, some of them can create problems like this tone. Disabling the add-ins, as explained above, is recommended to resolve the issue.
Check to see whether the issue persists after that. If the issue no longer occurs, you must activate add-ins one by one until you are able to reproduce it.
Once you’ve identified the faulty add-in, deactivate or uninstall it, and the issue should be remedied forever.
Several customers claimed that the Skype for Business plugin was to blame, but other plug-ins may also be to blame, so be sure to deactivate all of them.
7. Open Outlook in Protected Mode.
- To enter the Run dialog, use the Windows Key + R shortcut.
- Click the OK button after entering Outlook /safe.
- The window for selecting profiles will now display. To open Outlook, click OK.
Some customers have complained that they are unable to launch Outlook 2016, and in this case, you must start Outlook in Safe Mode.
Outlook Safe Mode utilizes the default settings and disables all add-ins, so if the issue is with your add-ins or settings, the Safe Mode should be able to assist you.
If Outlook starts in Safe Mode, one of your settings or add-ins is almost certainly the source of the problem.
Remember that running Outlook in Safe Mode will not solve your problem, but it will help you debug it.
8. Install Outlook again
It’s conceivable that your Outlook 2016 installation is damaged if it crashes while attempting to open an email containing attachments.
This can be an issue, but reinstalling Outlook can cure it quickly. There are a few options, however we recommend utilizing uninstaller software if you want to totally delete Outlook.
In case you didn’t aware, uninstaller software like Revo Uninstaller will totally delete Outlook, as well as all related files and registry entries.
There will be no remaining files on your computer as a result of this, and it will seem as if Outlook was never installed. After you’ve removed Outlook, reinstall it and see whether the issue repeats.
9. Use the System Restore feature.
- To restore your system, press Windows Key + S and enter system restore.
- Select From the list of results, create a restore point.
- A window called System Properties will pop up. Select System Restore from the drop-down menu.
- To continue, click Next when the System Restore box appears.
- Check If the option is available, show additional restore points.
- All that’s left to do now is choose the appropriate restoration point and click Next.
- To finish the repair, follow the directions on the screen.
If the issue with Outlook 2016 crashes persists, you may be able to resolve it by using the System Restore feature.
System Restore enables you to undo changes to your PC and cure a variety of problems, and all you have to do is follow the steps outlined above to utilize it.
Check whether the issue persists after you’ve restored your PC.
Crashing Outlook 2016 may be quite inconvenient and prohibit you from working with attachments. However, we hope you were able to resolve the problem utilizing one of our options.
Let us know what you think in the comments section below.
Was this page of assistance to you?
Thank you very much!
There are insufficient details It’s difficult to comprehend Other Speak with a Professional
Start a discussion.
Watch This Video-
The “outlook 2016 crashes when opening calendar appointments” is a problem that has been present for a while. Microsoft has released a fix to fix the issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why does Outlook freeze when attaching files?
A: In some cases, Outlook may freeze when you try to attach a file. This is due to the fact that your computer cannot receive the email from Microsoft and its having trouble sending out this email. The problem can be solved by simply de-activating or turning off antivirus software running on your computer as well as disabling any firewalls that might be in place.
How do I fix Outlook from crashing?
A: Microsoft support has some great tutorials on how to fix Outlook from crashing, so you may start there. If that doesnt work, please contact your IT department or call their toll-free number for help.
Why is my Outlook crashing?
A: Outlook is a Microsoft-owned product. This means that its not possible to answer this question without reference to their support team.
- outlook crashes when opening email android
- outlook 365 crashes when opening pdf attachments
- outlook 365 crashes when attaching files
- outlook 2013 crashes when sending email with attachment
- outlook crashes when attaching files